I often recommend some of these books to people – and I’ve found them all so helpful personally. Some are on mindfulness, others on self-compassion – but they all have something valuable to say about being human.
If you’re looking for some inspiration for your reading list, you might like to try some of these.
1. Self-Compassion by Kristin Neff – a fantastic intro to self-kindness, & how it can support our wellbeing.
2. Hardwiring Happiness by Rick Hanson – great for boosting positivity.
3. Mindfulness: Finding Peace In A Frantic World by Mark Williams & Danny Penman – I recommend this as an intro to mindfulness for those who are curious but haven’t yet tried it.
4. The Compassionate Mind by Paul Gilbert – fascinating explanation of our emotion systems and why we find life difficult.
5. Calming Your Anxious Mind by Jeffrey Brantley – a good book to progress to once you’ve already started practising mindfulness.
6. The Mindful Path To Self-Compassion by Christopher Germer – again, I’d say best read once you’ve already started practising self-compassion meditations.
7. The Mindfulness Solution by Ronald D Siegel – I found the sections about learning how to be with difficulty especially helpful, after I’d attended a mindfulness course.
8. Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn – I read this once I had a fairly established practice as a way of developing further.
9. Breath By Breath by Larry Rosenberg – A good book for people who already meditate regularly and want to go deeper.
10. Get Out Of Your Mind & Into Your Life by Steven C Hayes – practical exercises that help build discomfort tolerance, based on the ACT approach. The chapters on Values are great if you want to make some changes in your life. I’d suggest learning a bit about self-kindness before doing the other exercises.
If you’ve read any of these, what did you think?
Which books would be on your Top 10?
(At some point I might do a ‘part 2’ to this post – there are definitely more I could add since I first wrote it!)